Web Designer VS Web Developer, which one do you actually need for your business and how do you know the right one to hire in Nigeria? Follow us on this insightful sprint to make better decisions with your website projects.
There’s no denying the fact that when it comes to web design and web development projects, choosing the right person is crucial for achieving the best results. But then the question begs.. How do you even know whether you need the services of a web designer or a web developer?
To a layman, this can be confusing because many people wrongly use these job titles interchangeably. No hard feelings if you feel attacked, lol. We have put this piece together so you correctly differentiate who a web designer is from what a web developer does. Once you know how to appropriate what they do, you can easily decide on the right vendor to hire to develop, design or revamp your website without wasting time, money and energy.
Web Designer VS Web Developer, how are they different?
It has been proven beyond reasonable doubt that the collaboration between a web designer and a web developer is essential to ensure a well-designed and functional web presence. However, it is important to know the differences between their distinctive roles in creating a successful website. Here are five differences between a web designer and a web developer:
Roles in the website project
- Web Designer: Web designers are involved in the early stages of the web development process. They work closely with clients to understand their design requirements and create visual concepts and prototypes.
- Web Developer: Web developers take the designs provided by the web designer and bring them to life. They translate the visual elements into functional code, build the website structure, and implement interactive features.
Focus and skill set
- Web Designer: A web designer focuses on the visual and aesthetic aspects of a website. They are responsible for creating the layout, typography, colour schemes, and overall user experience (UX) design. usual mock-ups and wireframes.
Tools and software
- Web Designer: Designers use software like Photoshop, Sketch, Figma, or Adobe XD to create design mock-ups, wireframes, and prototypes.
- Web Developer: Developers work with code editors or integrated development environments (IDEs) such as Visual Studio Code, Sublime Text, or JetBrains WebStorm.
User interface (UI) vs. functionality
- Web Designer: Web designers focus on creating an appealing and user-friendly interface for the website. They prioritize elements like layout, colour schemes, typography, and visual hierarchy to enhance the user experience.
- Web Developer: Web developers concentrate on implementing the functionality and interactivity of the website. They handle tasks such as database integration, server-side scripting, form validation, content management system (CMS) customization, and e-commerce functionality.
Design vs. coding expertise
- Web Designer: Designers have a strong sense of aesthetics, colour theory, and composition. They understand principles of design, user-centered design (UCD), and information architecture.
Web Designer VS Web Developer – Steps to hire right
Below are 5 crucial steps to follow to increase your chances of finding the right person for your web design and development project to achieve the best result.
- Define your project requirements: Start by clearly outlining your project requirements, goals, and expectations. Understand the scope of work, specific features, functionality, and design elements you want in your website. This will help you assess the skills and expertise needed for the project.
- Evaluate portfolios and experience: Look for web designers and developers who have relevant experience and a strong portfolio showcasing their previous work. Examine their websites or samples to determine if their design style and technical skills align with your project’s vision.
- Check references and client feedback: Request references from the shortlisted candidates and reach out to their previous clients. Inquire about their experience working with the designer or developer, their professionalism, communication skills, adherence to deadlines, and the quality of the final product.
- Establish communication and collaboration: Effective communication and collaboration are essential for a successful web design and development project. Assess how well the candidates understand your requirements and their ability to communicate their ideas and suggestions. Consider their responsiveness and willingness to collaborate throughout the project.
We strongly believe we have helped you demystify the web designer VS web developer brouhaha. Now that you can hopefully differentiate the two important roles, you can make decisions as per who you need, when you need such expertise and the kind of realistic results you can look forward to.
Yoodalo is a fast-growing marketplace that connects you to customers and vendors across Nigeria. As a vendor or service provider, when you register and complete your profile, you immediately boost your profile visibility to customers so they contact you instantly. Get started now.