Want to become a graphic designer in Nigeria? Today is your lucky day as we have helped you put together learning resources such as free courses, tools and design apps to help you get started as a graphic designer.
It is not difficult to tell that the growing importance of visual communication, branding, digital experiences, and online marketing have created a high demand for graphic designers.
Are graphic designers well-paid in Nigeria?
Of course, yes. Graphic design is one of the most in-demand skills that is required in multiple fields of endeavour such as Branding, Advertising, Arts, Film & TV production, to name but a few. Simply put, there is really no business in Nigeria, regardless of size and scope, that will not require the services of a graphic designer at some point. None.
What then determines how much you earn as a graphic designer in Nigeria is your level of expertise, creative juice and profitability of projects you work on. And this is because graphic designers are typically required to combine creativity, technical skills, and strategic thinking, which are essential for businesses aiming to convey their messages to their target audience in today’s visually-driven world.
This has made it possible for graphic designers to rank in the league of those earning good salaries in the Nigeria labour market space, depending on their experience, skills and industries they work in.
What is the average income of a graphic designer?
- Payscale.com: average annual salary for a entry level Graphic Designer is about ₦702,290 in 2023
- Mysalaryscale.com: average annual salary for a entry level Graphic Designer is about ₦1,032,090 in 2023
- Mywage.ng: average annual salary for a Graphic Designer with over 2 years of experience is ₦1,614,660 in 2023
These are figures from random pay scales. There are projects and companies paying graphic designers in Nigeria way more than these, depending on his/her bargaining power. So if you’re thinking of venturing into the world of graphic designing but don’t have a clue on how to go about it, you might want to read on to find the right tools and courses to get you started in no time.
How to learn graphic design in Nigeria?
Here are the right tools and courses you need to start graphic designing.
Graphic Design Tools:
- Adobe Creative Cloud: Adobe offers a suite of industry-standard design software, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and more. These tools are widely used by professionals in the field.
- Canva: Canva is a user-friendly online design platform that provides pre-made templates, drag-and-drop functionality, and a wide range of design elements. It’s suitable for beginners and those who want to create designs quickly.
- Sketch: Sketch is a vector-based design tool specifically for digital design and UI/UX work. It offers an intuitive interface and powerful features for designing interfaces, icons, and illustrations.
- Figma: Figma is a collaborative design tool that allows multiple designers to work simultaneously on a project. It’s popular for its real-time collaboration features and is widely used for UI/UX design.
Graphic Design Courses and Learning Platforms:
- Coursera: Coursera offers online courses on graphic design, taught by professionals from top universities and institutions. Courses like “Graphic Design Specialization” by California Institute of the Arts can provide comprehensive learning experiences.
- Udemy: Udemy has a wide range of graphic design courses, including both beginner and advanced levels. Courses like “Graphic Design Bootcamp” by Derrick Mitchell and “Logo Design Mastery: The Full Course” by Lindsay Marsh are highly rated.
- Skillshare: Skillshare is an online learning platform with a vast library of graphic design courses taught by industry experts. It covers various design topics, such as typography, branding, illustration, and more.
- LinkedIn Learning: LinkedIn Learning offers a collection of video tutorials on graphic design, taught by experienced instructors. They cover different aspects of design, software usage, and industry-specific techniques.
Graphic Design Resources and Communities:
- Dribbble: Dribbble is a platform where designers share their work, providing inspiration and insights into design trends. It’s an excellent resource for discovering quality design work and connecting with other designers.
- Behance: Behance is another platform that showcases designers’ portfolios and allows for networking and inspiration. It’s a great place to discover design projects and get feedback on your own work.
- Pinterest: Pinterest is a visual discovery platform that can be used to find design inspiration, create mood boards, and explore various design styles and trends.
- Adobe Stock and Shutterstock: These stock image and vector libraries provide a vast collection of visual assets that can be used in design projects, saving time and effort in creating assets from scratch.
Above all, it is important to remember that practice and hands-on experience are crucial for improving your design skills. Alongside courses and resources, try working on personal projects or participating in design challenges to apply what you’ve learned. Additionally, the importance of building your portfolio cannot be over emphasized as well.
Yoodalo connects you to customers and vendors so you can find or sell products and services within 3 minutes. It helps small business owners and vendors attract customers across Nigeria at zero cost. Need to get more customers for free? Get started now.